Main findings of the study
• The Dutch embrace online shopping in large numbers, regardless of age.
• Comfort is the number one reason to shop online for all generations.
• For the older generation, the reduced health risk is an important reason to shop online.
• The Dutch prefer to shop in online markets, such as Amazon or Zalando.
• Online shopping is increasingly becoming a multi-channel experience, regardless of age.
Online shopping in full swing
Since the outbreak of the pandemic in the Netherlands, online shopping has been in full swing. While the number of people purchasing has remained essentially unchanged, 44.9% of people now say they shop online more often. Three quarters of people say comfort is the number one reason to shop online when they are not forced to do so by corona measures.
3 out of 4 online shoppers say they enjoy shopping on the internet because it is easy. Half of all respondents say that a wider range of products and special offers also motivates them to shop online. A third of people over 54 say the lower health risk associated with online shopping is important to them.
Older generations are embracing online shopping
The striking trend among the older generations is that they are super fit online. They know how to shop online and often do – even on their phone. One in three of the older generation has even bought something through an online store. A third is interested in trying it out. However, an overwhelming majority say they enjoy going to the stores and prefer to visit the physical store when possible.
The full study can be read here: Trends in online shopping and e-commerce among Dutch consumers