Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn expects that vaccinations against the SARS-CoV-2 virus can start in the first quarter of next year. This is what the minister said on Monday afternoon at an event of the “Munich Economic Debates” organized by the Munich Ifo Institute, which was also broadcast on the 4investors livestream. There will be no compulsory vaccination for the time being; voluntary vaccinations will be used as long as a target of 50 to 65 percent immunity in the population can be guaranteed.
The federal government is relying on various vaccines against the pathogen of COVID-19 – promising candidates, among others, the Mainz-based BioNTech and CureVac from Tübingen are in clinical development. BioNTech has already started “rolling submission processes” in Europe and Canada – we reported.
So far, however, none of the vaccines has been officially approved. As far as availability is concerned, Spahn is hopeful: there will be way too much vaccine if all the horses finish, said the minister at the “Munich Economic Debates” of the Ifo Institute.
At a glance – chart and news: CureVac